CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 22, 2013

Organize the "Deep" Cleaning

To go along with the previous post about having a good cleaning schedule to keep your home organized- I was asked about the bigger cleaning things that I did not address in that post. Such as cleaning light fixtures or door frames.

I'm happy to set the record straight and let you have a little insight into my cleaning routines. 

Going off of my weekly routine (which you can find HERE) I also have a monthly schedule for the odd things that not many people do on a regular basis. 
 

*Usually at the beginning of each month I take down my light fixture covers and soak them while I take a windex dampened rag and wipe off the light bulbs themselves. This helps keep a room bright and less dingy looking. 

*2 times per month (basically every other week) I will take a rag and spray with with some form of furniture polish and will wipe down the door frames in the home. I will take a separate rag and wipe down the tops of the frames where most of the dust sits.

*Ceiling fans get wiped down every other week as well.

*Baseboards at my house should probably get cleaned more often but I'm a busy woman! LOL These get a good scrub down once, sometimes twice, a month. This means the entire house- not just the common rooms.

*If the weather is warmer and allows it to be done, my outside windows get cleaned 2 times a month. During the winter months or when it's rainy here in Kentucky they might get done once a month.

*Trash cans are so gross- and many people ignore them- but at my home they get scrubbed inside and out two times a month (unless it needs it more often for whatever reason)

*My washer, dryer and dish washer all get cleaned on the inside at least twice a month. I will run a hot full cycle of bleach water through the washer while I'm taking a bleach spray solution to the interior of the dryer. Once these are completed then I run my dish washer in the hot pots and pans cycle usually after I've sprayed a little bleach solution on the interior. 

*My oven (Thank God!) has a self cleaning option that I do take advantage of twice a month. It smells awful while it's running but in the end my oven comes out looking new!

*My stove burners get cleaned twice a month as well, unless something gets spilled on them horribly in that time frame.


Side note- for those hard stuck on spots on your stove burners or oven racks:
1-remove the burners and racks from their places
2-run hot water in the bath tub
3-place dryer sheets along the top of the water
4-place burners or racks on top of those dryer sheets
5-wait 4-6 hours and remove and scrub with a sponge if needed 
6-replace the burners and racks to the rightful spot
OR
1-remove the burners and racks from the oven or stove
2-soak in white vinegar for 2-3 hours
3-scrub with a sponge
4- wash with warm soapy water
5-dry thoroughly
6-replace the burners and racks to the rightful spot.


SPRING CLEANING
If you get on top of your cleaning with a set schedule then when it comes time for "Spring Cleaning" you really won't have as much to do. The worst part of my "Spring Cleaning" is that I do it twice a year, Spring and Fall, and it's always the closets! All of the clothing is gone through, toys are set aside that are broken or not age appropriate any longer, shoes get tossed if needed, etc. Everything comes out, I wipe down the closet walls and vacuum the area that is there then I replace, as neatly as possible, the items that are staying. I usually make a big "yard sale" pile or "Goodwill" pile. My Spring Cleaning lasts no longer than a weekend and I'm confident that in that time I have hit every closet in the house.

I hope that this peek into my OCD home helps get you started on the right foot. 

Keep your eyes out for more organization tips from Miss Priss!

-SC

No comments:

Post a Comment