CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 20, 2012

Animal Rights


**Please note there are pictures attached that may be graphic for some viewers**


Today we have a guest post from my friend Danielle- below is her picture followed by her post. Leave comments & weight in on where you stand on this topic!

Meet Danielle!


Sunday morning, August 12th, 2012, I was leaving the house to go to the store when I noticed a cat laying in the yard. Being the animal lover that I am I approached the cat to make sure it was OK. As I picked up the female feline she began to purr. What I saw next was horrifying, a small caliber gunshot entry wound center forehead just above eye level and an exit wound next to her left ear about 1” rough diameter. Both wounds were infested with maggots so I estimated that the wounds were at least 48 hours old. I contacted the Frankfort Police Department and was told by dispatch that the animal control officer was off duty. So I asked about them sending out an officer and was told there was nothing the officer could do.

Meet Joan

I was able to get the cat to a vet where I stayed with her and assisted in tending to the wounds. The vet stated that her initial thoughts, prior to the cat’s arrival, was that she would have no alternative but to euthanize her based on the severity of a gunshot wound to the head. But after seeing how lively she was the vet saw sufficient evidence in her mind to support an attempt to save the cat. So we began to treat her. In addition to the wounds she was also in a state of malnutrition and grossly underweight. We started to clean out the wounds and maggots but she became upset and began to struggle with us so we had to stop, again showing life and positive reinforcement for the decision not to euthanize. The vet stated that the gunshot wounds were at least 2 to 3 days old supporting my initial estimate of at least 48 hours. She also stated the animal was not feral and was someone’s pet.

As I waited for the vet to contact me on her condition I began to canvas the neighborhood going door to door inquiring about the ownership of the animal. After a short while, I was able to locate the owners by several corroborating interviews of the neighbors. I visited the alleged owner’s home and was greeted at the door by a man so intoxicated he could hardly stand. In his drunken stupor and incoherent ramble I was able to decipher that his wife had left him. His demeanor and tone towards his estranged wife certainly goes to motive. It had been stated by the neighbors that this man had been seen walking around his yard brandishing a firearm. The vet stated Joan, the cat’s newly given name, was shot with a small caliber round, likely a .22 caliber. The most likely intention was to execute the cat from close range. Further inquiries with neighbors lead me to the wife’s work place. I visited her at work were I asked her about the cat and she informed me she separated from him two months ago reluctantly leaving behind one cat and a dog, unable to take them with her. After revealing the horrific tragedy to her she had what I felt was a genuine show of emotion.

The vet called me at 8pm that evening asking me to come to the clinic. So I went thinking she had died. My eyes never expected what I saw when I arrived. Joan was up, all the maggots gone, and wounds showing beginning signs of healing, she was rubbing on me, loving on me, meowing at me, and when I put my hands into the kennel to pet her she grabbed them with her paws for me to pet her, all positive signs to indicate no brain damage and on the path to a successful recovery. I left feeling very optimistic. I went back Monday morning to visit and they informed me that I couldn’t see her and that she was not doing well. I went on to work and waited to hear from the vet. Finally the vet called me… Joan had fallen asleep that night but never woke up. This animal died because some irresponsible human recklessly discharged a fire arm inside the city limits.

Joan was happy prior to passing on


I was told by one person it’s not illegal to shoot a feral animal but it is illegal to shoot a domesticated animal, and stated that Joan was an outside cat thus feral. That is not right on so many levels. By definition the term feral describes animals or plants that live or grow in the wild after having been domestically reared or cultivated. I will argue the being outside in a neighborhood or residential area is hardly feral, although outside at the time the animal is still fed and watered by a human, either by owner or caring neighbor. I would use the term “the neighborhood cat” friendly, loving, and excepting human interaction.  Joan did not deserve this.

It’s not just about the animals. A firearm was recklessly discharged inside the city limits in a neighborhood without regards to the surroundings. Being a mother my children play in my back yard and ride their bikes down the street. Fortunately this time the wayward bullet, after exiting its intended target, did not find a second victim. Next time it could be one of our children or the Mail Man delivering your mail or the neighbor in his living room in the recliner watching TV.

Several authorities and political influences have been contacted including Representative Derrick Graham (D) (House District 57), Senator Julian M. Carroll (D), Franklin County Sheriff Pat Melton and Frankfort City Police Chief Walter M. Wilhoite. So far Sheriff Melton and Chief Wilhoite have responded and in a positive and constructive manner. Chief Wilhoite sincerely apologized and stated that an officer should have been dispatched to me regardless of the situation, human or animal and that he will be looking into the error. Senator Carroll and Representative Graham have yet to respond.


2 comments:

  1. That's terrible! So appreciative of what you are doing to try to make a change!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is terrible!!!! At least she felt loved before she passed on. Animals have no reason to be treated that way. They need to be loved and taken care of.

    ReplyDelete