CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 9, 2012

My Mirena Story

I love my babies don't get me wrong- I wouldn't trade them for the world but I was 26 years old and 3 kids- it was time to do something- the pill wouldn't cut it nor would a condom but I needed a birth control that would actually WORK the way that it should have. 



So on December 9, 2010 (6 weeks after my baby was born) I allowed my doctor to implant "Mirena" an Inner Uterine Device (IUD) that was to control birth and allow me to have intercourse with my husband without fear of becoming pregnant. This was what I had been searching for- I thought!

I was told from my doctor (whom I love and do not blame at all) that I would experience some uncomfortable pressure and possibly some bleeding following the procedure for maybe the first two to three days. I trust this man with my life and the life of my children so I said "okay, great thank you!" as I went on about my way. Four months later (April 12, 2011), I was STILL bleeding from that first day, it was awful the cramps that I was experiencing. I scheduled to see him that week, he performed a pap-smear, and a vaginal exam, luckily I had stopped bleeding that morning and this was able to be done properly. He informed me it had settled into place and all looked well and the bleeding I was experiencing was from the IUD trying to "settle" into its new home. I assumed and hoped he was right and went on my way. The next 16 months I would not wish upon anyone. 

I had nausea, major cramps, heavy periods, migraines, loss of a sex drive, and weight gain. The migraines and nausea usually went hand in hand and happened at least once a week, sometimes more. I gained about 10 pounds, bled for a minimum of 10 days a month, and cramped until I was in tears with a heating pad curled up in bed. But I needed this birth control- I'm very fertile and at the time didn't want my tubes tied. Nothing else worked. So I tolerated it as long as I possibly could.

Each month my periods lasted longer and longer, whether it be a few hours, or an extra day- it felt like it would never end. I had been placed on a 2 week prescription of estrogen in June of 2012 to help calm the bleeding down and help re-regulate things in that department. This seemed to work, until July 12, 2012. I began what I assumed would be my "normal" period and crossed my fingers. I called the doctor office TWO WEEKS later and said something had to give- the bleeding wouldn't stop. I was then placed on another prescription of estrogen, a month long and twice the milligrams.

August 10, 2012 I finally stopped that period- a MONTH y'all a MONTH! I thankfully hadn't bled since then. 

I went for a doctor appointment on September 6, 2012 and had an ultra sound done as well to "find the birth control" apparently it can maneuver its way around and go where it pleases in some people. Thankfully, mine was where it was suppose to be. However, I had a cyst caused by the IUD. The size of a large chicken egg.on my left ovary. This has been causing the cramping and excessive bleeding. All caused by my birth control. All things I wasn't warned about- or things that weren't put in the pamphlet they give you. I was stunned and confused at the same time.



Upon the removal of my birth control that day we discussed plans of sterilization. Tied tubes or plugs, it's all up in the air right now because of the cyst. The cyst itself may have to be removed in 6 weeks if it doesn't go away or I may have to have plus put into my tubes if the cyst goes on its own. 

Since that day, I have bled, it's called the "Mirena Crash" and it's where your body is no longer receiving that extra hormone from the birth control to maintain things. I'm a mess. The cramping is picking up but that is from the cyst that is use to feeding off of the Mirena as well. 

I sincerely hope that anyone who is interested in this birth control PLEASE do your research first and know everything before going in it. Do not be blindfolded in these situations. 

Good luck to you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment